Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 1 in Vancouver...


Today, was the first full day in Vancouver, and we started off the morning by sleeping in a bit... but that was perfectly fine with us. We headed to the Aboriginal pavilion for 12pm to do a site tour. We arrived with a show just about to commence, so we ended up watching it. It was showcasing the Cree indians of Canada, and it was a good presentation. I was able to get a good idea of the lighting situaiton. The venue is very small, so there is not much we can do, but we are adding some fixture's for gobo's, and that is a good thing.


Once we were done at the pavilion, Alejandro and Diego (director and sound designer) went their seperate way, as they needed to go to the airport to collect some of the gear which was coming in as cargo. Chris and I headed to Yaletown with Chris's friend Phil. Phil worked on the opening ceremony, and will be working on the closing as well as other events throughout the olympics. We had lunch at a very nice restaurant in Yaletown - which used to be an industrial area of Vancouver. It has been converted into an area that reminds me of Toronto's distillery district.


We were thinking of going to the Yaletown live site after lunch, however long line-ups didn't seem attractive, thus we ended up deciding the take the ferry across to Granville island, and checking out the scene over there. While over at the island, I was stunned by the gorgeous view of Vancouver's downtown west area - over near Stanley Park. There was a beautiful mountain range in the background. So I decided to split from Chris and Phil, and headed for a walk to Vanier Park. The view paid off - it was stunning, and got some great photos.


I then spent the next 5 hours or so in downtown Van. I took the ferry over to the mainland of downtown, and walked up Horby. I did a stop into Robson square, where there was quite the buzz. I decided to return, but first - I was flame bound! That's right.... the olympic flame (outdoors). So off I went, and saw, and took pics. Then back to Robson square! There wasn't much going on, so I just sat down for a while, took a load off, and once I was refreshed, headed for the bus and back to the house.


Highlight of the day: The Olympic Flame.


No comments:

Post a Comment